CALEXICO — A fire that destroyed the kitchen of a doublewide mobile home here Monday has been ruled an accident, said a local Fire Department official this morning.
Calexico fire Capt. Pete Navarro said flames that tore through the kitchen and part of the roof of a mobile home at 101 Vernardo Drive in the northern perimeter of the city started while the tenant was cooking breakfast.
Shortly after 8 a.m. Monday, Calexico fire crews rolled to the trailer parked at space No. 80 following a failed attempt by the resident to extinguish the flames.
Navarro said the unidentified resident "tried to put it out but after a while she noticed fire had went through the exhaust fan and into the attic.