Advertisement

Mobile home destroyed

January 23, 2001|Staff Report

CALEXICO — A fire that destroyed the kitchen of a doublewide mobile home here Monday has been ruled an accident, said a local Fire Department official this morning.

Calexico fire Capt. Pete Navarro said flames that tore through the kitchen and part of the roof of a mobile home at 101 Vernardo Drive in the northern perimeter of the city started while the tenant was cooking breakfast.

Shortly after 8 a.m. Monday, Calexico fire crews rolled to the trailer parked at space No. 80 following a failed attempt by the resident to extinguish the flames.

Navarro said the unidentified resident "tried to put it out but after a while she noticed fire had went through the exhaust fan and into the attic.

Advertisement

"She went to a neighbors to call 911 and when she came back fire was coming from the roof already," he added.

Firefighters had to tear into the ceiling and roof of the mobile home to get at the fire but extinguished the flames within 10 minutes of arrival, Navarro said.

No one was injured in the fire but the trailer sustained heavy fire damage to the kitchen and smoke and water damage to two adjacent rooms. No monetary value has been placed on the damages.

Imperial Valley Press Online Articles
|
|
|