Probe: February 1, 2001

February 01, 2001

QUESTION: Recently I married a wonderful man in San Diego. Each of us has a son. My husband's son has a history of mental problems that have gotten him into trouble at school and with the police.

He requires the constant supervision of my husband. When he lived in San Diego, my husband had a job that allowed him to work around his son's school schedule.

After we got married, he moved to Imperial County thinking he could get a similar job here. He hasn't been able to find such work.

We took his son to county mental health (Behavioral Health Services). We were advised to apply for welfare and a Medi-Cal card for my husband's son.


The Department of Social Services denied us the cash aid and it wants us to pay for Medi-Cal.

I work but I can't support myself, my husband, my son and his son. How does the county expect us to pay for medical care?

When my son was born, I got a lot of help from my family. I never applied for welfare.

Do you know of any government program that will allow my husband to stay home to watch his son? Do I have to divorce my husband so he can get help? The boy's mother refuses to help. — Bewildered Bride, El Centro

Why don't you call the San Diego Regional Center for the Developmentally Disabled. The phone number is 353-2830. There is an El Centro office at 1073 Ross Ave.

This may be another disappointment for you but if your stepson meets the Center's criteria, there may be a lot of help for him.

The center's main mission is to provide services for the "developmentally disabled." However, it has some latitude in defining the disability.

In some cases, there is an overlap between mental illness and developmental disability, according to a center spokeswoman.

HE DIDN'T CUSS THE COPS — I appreciate your effort in telling me how to get my police report. However, you must have misunderstood me.

I didn't say I cussed the cops. They cussed me. I may have raised my voice when I told them not to use obscene language in front of my kids. — Arrested, Imperial

If we misunderstood, we're sorry.

A DANGEROUS DIET — You had something in PROBE saying farmers wouldn't mind if people pulled sugar beets to eat. I don't think that's a good idea.

Farmers spray crops with all kinds of chemicals. There is a period after spraying when the plants are poisonous.

I am not a farmer but my father was an agricultural chemist. — Chemist's Kid, rural El Centro

Thank you. OK, PROBE readers, if you want a mess of fresh sugar beets, better plant some.

QUESTION: What's happening to the uniform policy in El Centro schools? Every morning on my way to work, I see kids walking to school or in the school yards wearing huge baggy pants, untucked shirts, striped shirts, plaid jackets and jeans.

What a lesson for our kids! If they make the rules, they should stick to them. If they don't enforce the rules, they should forget uniforms. — Fashion Observer, El Centro

Enforcing a uniform rule is difficult. State law says that if a school requires a specific uniform, it must pay for it.

That's why the uniform rule is voluntary. If a parent requests a waiver of the rule, the school will grant it.

Imperial Valley Press Online Articles