Advertisement

Garage fire started by 10-year-old boy, none injured

February 10, 2001|By DARREN SIMON, Staff Writer

El Centro firefighters extinguished a garage fire Saturday sparked after a boy siphoned gasoline from a moped and then tried to start the vehicle, according to El Centro fire Capt. Steve Wilson.

No one was injured in the blaze, but the side garage to the residence at 2041 S. 6th St. was destroyed.

Wilson said firefighters were called to the scene at 12:22 p.m. and had the fire under control within 10 minutes. It would take an hour for the 10 firefighters to extinguish the blaze.

Firefighters were called to the home by a neighbor who saw smoke coming from the garage.

Wilson said the fire started after a 10-year-old boy was working in the garage on a moped. He said the boy was attempting to siphon gasoline from the moped into a can and some gas spilled. Wilson added firefighters think the boy then attempted to start the moped, which sparked the fire.

Advertisement

The boy tried to put out the fire with a garden hose, but the blaze started to spread.

The fire reportedly caused about $9,000 in damage.

Imperial Valley Press Online Articles
|
|
|