Smoke detectors could have warned of Calexico house fire

March 08, 2001|By KELLY GRANT, Staff Writer

CALEXICO — Smoke detectors could have prevented some of the estimated $50,000 in fire damage to a residence here just after midnight this morning, fire officials say.

Calexico Fire Department received a call at 12:01 a.m. about a house fire at 431 C.K. Clarke St.

The house, which has three apartments attached to it, was engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived, Capt. Ernesto Avila said.

Calexico police were already on the scene and confirmed that the five occupants of the house and the one occupied apartment were out of the buildings and accounted for, Avila said.

Ten firefighters knocked the flames down within the first 10 minutes but remained at the scene until 2:30 a.m., Avila said.

El Centro and Imperial County fire crews were on standby at the Calexico station should any other emergencies arise while Calexico firefighters battled the blaze, Avila said.


The fire was first detected when one of the occupants woke up coughing from the smoke, Avila said.

Smoke detectors, which the house did not have, "would have alerted them (residents) to the fire long before the smoke," Avila said.

The fire's area of origin was the kitchen of the main house. Avila said the point of origin is believed to be a stove left on. The incident is under investigation.

No injuries were reported.

Staff Writer Kelly Grant can be reached at 337-3441.

Imperial Valley Press Online Articles