BRAWLEY — A large trash fire kept firefighters here busy Saturday.
Brawley fire Capt. Manuel Sevilla said the department received a call about 5:30 a.m. Saturday regarding a fire near Carter and Webster roads just southwest of Brawley.
The area was full of trash. The fire burned throughout the day Saturday but was contained by the afternoon.
It was still burning Saturday night and Sevilla said firefighters didn't have an estimate when the fire would be extinguished.
Several engine crews, including some from the Imperial County Fire Department, were at the scene to keep the fire from spreading.
There was concern the fire would spread because of a breeze in the area.
He said fire officials are not sure how the fire started.
"It could have been anything," he said. "Maybe somebody dumped hot coals or maybe manure caught on fire. Sometimes manure can spontaneously combust because of the rain. The rain will cause it to dry and heat might have caused it to burst into flames."