An Imperial woman prevented major damage to her mobile home Wednesday when she discovered a fire and extinguished it with a garden hose, but a Calexico resident was unable to stop the burning of her mobile home two hours later.
Patricia Elloway was doing yard work outside her mobile home at 181 E. Robinson Road in Imperial on Wednesday, according to an Imperial County Fire Department press release.
When Elloway went back into her home around 10:22 a.m., she discovered a fire in a bedroom, called 911 and extinguished the flames with a garden hose, according to the press release.
Imperial County Sheriff's Office deputies arrived before firefighters and removed the smoldering mattress from the home.
The press release states the cause of the fire was an electrical connection behind the mattress.
Damage, estimated to be $1,500 to $2,000, was confined to the mattress, bedding, electrical connection and wall paneling, with smoke damage to the rest of the home, according to the press release.