Fires erupt in mobile homes in Calexico, Imperial

March 22, 2001|By KELLY GRANT, Staff Writer

An Imperial woman prevented major damage to her mobile home Wednesday when she discovered a fire and extinguished it with a garden hose, but a Calexico resident was unable to stop the burning of her mobile home two hours later.

Patricia Elloway was doing yard work outside her mobile home at 181 E. Robinson Road in Imperial on Wednesday, according to an Imperial County Fire Department press release.

When Elloway went back into her home around 10:22 a.m., she discovered a fire in a bedroom, called 911 and extinguished the flames with a garden hose, according to the press release.

Imperial County Sheriff's Office deputies arrived before firefighters and removed the smoldering mattress from the home.

The press release states the cause of the fire was an electrical connection behind the mattress.

Damage, estimated to be $1,500 to $2,000, was confined to the mattress, bedding, electrical connection and wall paneling, with smoke damage to the rest of the home, according to the press release.


Elloway was checked by Gold Cross paramedics and found to be OK.

In a separate incident, at 12:24 p.m., the Calexico Fire Department received a call about a fire at 314 Camacho Road, said Calexico Fire Department Capt. Art Navarro.

The mobile home and attached wooden structures were engulfed when firefighters arrived, Navarro said.

The blaze took 15 to 20 minutes to control and one and a half hours to extinguish, Navarro said.

The home's lone occupant, Rosa Ledezma, 70, was outside when the fire started, Navarro said. Neighbors saw smoke coming from the kitchen, Navarro said, leading firefighters to think Ledezma may have left an electric burner on, starting the fire.

While the home was destroyed, no injuries were reported, Navarro said.

One firefighter suffered fatigue in fighting the blaze but no medical aid was required, Navarro said.

Fourteen Calexico firefighters responded, as did four additional firefighters and one engine from the county Fire Department.

Staff Writer Kelly Grant can be reached at 337-3441.

Imperial Valley Press Online Articles