Advertisement

Portable fan likely cause of bedroom fire in Brawley

March 28, 2001

BRAWLEY — A portable electric fan apparently started a fire in the bedroom of a home here, causing slight damage to a wall and filling the house with smoke.

A woman used a garden hose to partially douse the small fire that started around 4:30 p.m. Tuesday at 361 E St., said Brawley Fire Department Capt. Jesse Zendejas.

Smoke forced the woman to evacuate the house and stop her attempts to fully extinguish the flames, Zendejas said.

Four children in the home, ages 7, 5, 4 and 2, were evacuated unharmed, Zendejas said.

Firefighters extinguished the flames and left the scene after 30 minutes, Zendejas said.

No one was injured.

Broken insulation on the fan's plug is being blamed as the culprit for the fire, Zendejas said.

Advertisement
Imperial Valley Press Online Articles
|
|
|