Advertisement

Two inspectors suffer smoke inhalation from burning van

April 25, 2001

CALEXICO — Two U.S. Customs Service inspectors were injured when a vehicle remanded into secondary inspection at the downtown Port of Entry here caught fire Tuesday afternoon.

According to Calexico Firefighter/Medic Sam Garza, who responded to the incident, Customs inspectors said the scent of gasoline was coming from the van before the fire.

Garza added inspectors told him the fire started when the driver turned off the engine.

Garza thinks the fire started under the hood but did not see the van itself.

The injured inspectors, both of whom suffered smoke inhalation, were transported to El Centro Regional Medical Center, Garza said.

Further information was unavailable at presstime and U.S. Customs officials contacted this morning had no comment.

Advertisement
Imperial Valley Press Online Articles
|
|
|