Advertisement

Bathroom gutted in fire likely started by child playing with matches

May 13, 2001

NILAND — A youngster playing with matches resulted in a fire in a mobile home here Saturday.

The 12:50 p.m. fire was contained to the mobile home's bathroom, where a 6-year-old girl had thrown a match she thought was extinguished, according to Niland Fire Chief Mike Aleksick.

"The whole bathroom's gutted," he said, adding there were no injuries to the woman and child who were present at the time. Aleksick said he had no monetary damage estimate.

Four firefighters responded to the blaze and had it under control in 17 minutes, Aleksick added.

The trailer is in the JNH Trailer Park on Niland Avenue.

Advertisement
Imperial Valley Press Online Articles
|
|
|