15-year-old with head injuries upgraded to serious condition


May 21, 2001|By DARREN SIMON, Staff Writer

Marcos Dominguez, the 15-year-old Imperial boy who suffered head injuries when the stolen car in which he was a passenger crashed last month, has been upgraded to serious condition.

University of California San Diego Medical Center officials said this morning Marcos' life is no longer considered in danger, although they said he remains "very ill."

For more than two weeks after the accident Marcos was in critical condition.

There was no new information today on the charges against another 15-year-old Imperial boy reported to have been driving the vehicle.

A county District Attorney's Office official declined to release information on charges against the youth or whether the boy remained in juvenile hall. The official said because it is a juvenile matter he cannot release details about the case.


The crash occurred April 27 as the 15-year-old boy was allegedly driving a car that had been stolen hours earlier. There were four passengers in the car, including Marcos.

According to reports from the California Highway Patrol, the driver crashed when the paved road on which he was driving turned into a dirt road and he lost control and the car flipped.

Everyone in the car except for the 15-year-old driver suffered injuries. Most suffered only minor injuries. Marcos, who was sitting in the back seat behind the driver, suffered critical head injuries and was flown to UCSD hospital, where he has remained for nearly a month.

Staff Writer Darren Simon can be reached at 337-4082.

Imperial Valley Press Online Articles