A fire caused more than $200,000 damage to a hay compression company west of El Centro before fire crews from throughout the Imperial Valley controlled the blaze Wednesday afternoon.
No one was injured in the fire that erupted after 3:30 p.m. at ACX Trading at 1490 Evan Hewes Highway.
County fire Capt. Lon Hettinger said while the fire remained under investigation, fire crews suspect sparks from welding being done on a rig at the business may have sparked the fire.
Hettinger said a county fire crew got to the scene within minutes of being called.
Soon after the fire was declared a second-alarm blaze and the El Centro, Calexico and Naval Air Facility El Centro fire departments were called to the scene, along with county fire crews and a crew from Centinela State Prison.
Hettinger said it took firefighters about two hours to extinguish the fire, which sent black smoke billowing over the Valley.