Advertisement

IID board to decide on silt reduction methods

July 09, 2001|By KELLY GRANT,Staff Writer

A resolution to accept a grant to implement the testing of on-farm silt reduction methods in the Imperial Valley will be voted upon Tuesday at the Imperial Irrigation District Board of Directors' regular meeting.

The board, sitting as the Imperial County Resource Conservation District Board, will decide whether to accept the $125,000 grant from the State Water Resources Control Board.

The three-year test will implement a best-management practice utilizing biodegradable fiber mats to reduce silt. The grant covers 60 percent of the project's costs and requires the IID to cover the remaining 40 percent, or $84,000, of the $209,000 price tag.

The grant was applied for about two years ago.

Reconvening as the IID Board of Directors, the board will consider a request from the Boys and Girls Club of Coachella Valley to absorb part or all of the cost to relocate a portion of IID's transmission and distribution facilities as the organization builds a new recreational facility.

Advertisement

IID staff has recommended to the board that IID absorb half the project's $342,436.69 cost.

As listed on the agenda, the board will also:

l discuss and possibly take action on Director Bruce Kuhn's request to move board meeting times to 1 p.m.

l consider a request to donate $25,000 for the completion of the Imperial Valley College Desert Museum in Ocotillo.

l consider approving a final negative declaration for the construction and operation of a transmission line from the Rockwood to Imperial substations as an upgrade to the existing line. The board is also asked to approve, in a separate motion, construction of the line.

The board will meet in open session at 5 p.m. Tuesday in the auditorium at 1285 Broadway in El Centro.

Staff Writer Kelly Grant can be reached at 337-3441.

Imperial Valley Press Online Articles
|
|
|