Advertisement

16-year-old boy suffers smoke inhalation during fire in Imperial

July 10, 2001

IMPERIAL — A 16-year-old boy here thought to have started a fire in his apartment Monday suffered smoke inhalation and was treated at El Centro Regional Medical Center.

Imperial County fire Capt. Lon Hettinger said the boy, who is developmentally disabled, was thought to have started the blaze after playing with a lit stove.

Imperial police received a 911 call about 2:30 p.m. that sent them to the apartment in the 1200 block of Rodeo Drive.

Once there, officers were able to use a fire extinguisher to put out the small blaze. The boy was taken from the apartment and treated at the scene by medical crews for smoke inhalation.

Advertisement

The boy then was taken to the hospital. Hettinger said he was unsure if the boy remained hospitalized this morning.

Hettinger said the boy, whose name was not released, was home alone at the time the fire started.

The fire damage to the apartment was minimal, he said.

Imperial Valley Press Online Articles
|
|
|