HEBER — County fire inspectors determined Tuesday night that electrical wiring started the fire that destroyed a home near the corner of Highway 111 and Heber Road earlier in the day.
Capt. Lon Hettinger of the Imperial County Fire Department said the two-alarm fire started about 1:20 p.m. Tuesday because of problems in electrical wiring in the garage of a home at 404 E. Abatti Road.
The fire spread to the rest of the house "within a matter of minutes," he said.
Authorities were notified of the blaze when 13-year-old Daniel Martinez Jr. called 911.
Daniel was home alone watching TV when the fire started. His father, Daniel Martinez, was working and his mother, brother and sister were at the supermarket.
Hettinger said two unidentified passers-by saw smoke and told Daniel the house was on fire.
"Passing motorists told the young man that there was a fire and he called 911. We don't have the names of the persons that reported the fire to him," Hettinger said today.