HEBER — Daniel Martinez Jr. sat in the haven of his mother's mini-van trying not to watch his home smolder.
He looked at his family, he looked at his hands, he looked at the back of the seat in front of him — he looked down at his naked feet, dusty and swollen.
His shoes were inside the charred home.
Daniel, 13, fled his burning home at 404 E. Abatti Road south of El Centro without putting on his shoes.
An hour after he fled, firefighters worked to douse a few stubborn embers and Daniel talked about what happened.
He was the only one in the house when it caught fire around 1:20 p.m. Tuesday.
He said he was watching TV when two neighbors ran to the door and told him there was smoke coming from his garage.
Daniel called 911 and quickly went outside.
Around 1:45 p.m. his mother, Berenice Martinez, and his siblings, older sister Berenice and younger brother Joel, arrived home from the supermarket to find Daniel safe but their house engulfed in flames.