CALEXICO — Firefighters here are crediting a 16-year-old boy with saving the lives of four people Monday night after dousing a fire by properly using a fire extinguisher.
The fire broke out at an apartment's electrical outlet at 214 Beach Ave. around 9:30 p.m. The teen, Luis Alvarez, and three other people were in the apartment at the time, said Calexico Fire Department engineer and paramedic Ruben Beltran.
"It could have been really bad," Beltran said.
"Damage was kept to a minimum," Beltran said, adding the fire had been extinguished by the time firefighters arrived. A wall and part of a bed near the outlet were scorched, Beltran said.
Beltran said the teen's proper use of the extinguisher kept the fire from further damaging the apartment and injuring anyone. He credited the residents with having an extinguisher in the apartment in the first place.