Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: IVPress HomeCollections

Voice: What is going on with the Calexico Fire Department?

August 08, 2001

On July 5, Calexico firefighters responded to 212 E. 7th St. about 3 p.m. I find it very disturbing that it took them three minutes to respond to a fire if they're only three to four blocks away.

I live across the street of the home that burned and what really irritated me was the chief. He was running around like a chicken with his head cut off. It seemed like he didn't know what he was doing. Mutual aid was requested, with him claiming he had no off-duty personal available.

Now what about the reserve firefighters? If they don't show up to calls, why do they have the title of "reserve firefighters"? It seems like they are there only in it for the glamour. The only time that they do show up to anything is to social events. Is this who we want to respond to our calls when we are in need of help?

Advertisement

Let's face it, 80 percent of the crew is there because of hard work and determination and the other 20 percent is there because of kissing you know what.

Why does the Fire Department have reserves if they won't go to calls?

OLIMPIA MARTINEZ

Calexico

Imperial Valley Press Online Articles
|
|
|