Advertisement

Fire-damaged Brawley billiards will remain open

August 14, 2001|By MARIO RENTERÍA, Staff Writer

BRAWLEY — A local billiards center will remain open despite receiving smoke and fire damage during a fire Monday morning.

The fire that started about 6:30 in an office/storage room inside Brawley Family Billiards at 616 Main St. damaged office equipment and the building itself.

Carlos Weir, owner of Brawley Family Billiards, said the fire set off the burglar alarm that has a fire sensor in it.

The burglar alarm notified police, who went to the scene. After officers arrived, they smelled smoke and called the Brawley Fire Department.

Advertisement

Weir said he was notified of the alarm going off but did not know it was actually a fire. He went to his business and saw the blaze.

"When I first came down I never expected it was a fire," said Weir.

"I felt bummed out. You put a lot of work in your business and from one hour to the next you can lose your business," he added.

Brawley fire Capt. Jesse Zendejas said investigators think the fire might have originated in a refrigerator/cooler.

Zendejas said fire investigators are still not certain but they are leaning toward an electrical short from the refrigerator as the cause of the blaze.

Weir said office equipment damaged included a computer, a printer, a fax machine and some inventory.

He estimated the office equipment damage to be around $4,000. The building's damages could be $15,000 to $20,000, he said

Weir praised the quick response and rapid extinguishing of the fire by the Fire Department.

"They did a heck of a job," said Weir.

"They were really helpful and understanding, and we're still open," he added.

Staff Writer Mario Rentería can be reached at 337-3435.

Imperial Valley Press Online Articles
|
|
|