BRAWLEY — A fire destroyed an apartment here Saturday but efforts by the city's Fire Department helped save three other units in the complex.
Brawley fire Capt. Jesse Zendejas said the department was called to a fire reportedly in a back yard of an apartment complex in the 300 block of A Street about 5 a.m Saturday.
When fire crews arrived they quickly ascertained it actually was an apartment that was engulfed in flames.
Zendejas said the resident of the apartment, Jose Luis Lorenzo, had been awakened about 5 a.m.
Lorenzo told investigators he smelled gas and went to check out the courtyard, which is between the four apartments and contains the water heater.
Lorenzo told firefighters he lighted a match, which caused an explosion. Lorenzo suffered burnt hair and mild burns to his hands from the explosion .