Two California philanthropists, George L. Argyros and Arthur A. Ciocca, have banded to award scholarships through the Horatio Alger Association of Distinguished Americans with the establishment of the Horatio Alger California Scholars Program.
This statewide program is available to all high school seniors in California and annually awards 200 students with $2,500 scholarships to attend the college or university of their choice.
High school seniors are selected as recipients for the Horatio Alger California Scholars Program based upon the following criteria:
· be enrolled full-time as a high school senior
· progressing normally toward graduation and planning to enter college no later than the fall following graduation
· demonstrate honesty, hard work, determination and perseverance in overcoming adversity
· display a strong desire to pursue higher education
· critical financial need
· involvement in co-curricular and community activities
· academic achievement