YOU ARE HERE: IVPress HomeCollectionsEagles

Eagles blown out of playoffs

November 18, 2001|By ROBERT FULTON, Special to this newspaper

SAN DIEGO — The Southwest High School football team must have felt like it had been run over by a train here Saturday in its 40-7 loss to Lincoln in the first round of the CIF Division III playoffs.

In reality, the Eagles were run over by a tank.

The Hornets' Tank Cannon rumbled for 311 yards and three touchdowns on 13 carries and would probably still be running if he had not come out of the game midway through the third quarter.

Southwest could not get much going on offense, with its only score coming against Lincoln's second team in the fourth quarter. That is when Eagle quarterback Jesse Hoyt found Luis .Vildosola for a 22-yard score.

Matt Petree is the Eagles regular quarterback but he couldn't play. Southwest's backup, Ricky Lopez, was also banged up. Hoyt, who just came off of the junior varsity squad, got the starting nod.


"Eligibility is what happened," said Eagle head coach Jerry Storts. "We lost our starting quarterback, Matt Petree. He (Hoyt) is our JV quarterback. That's part of it."

Lopez came in at quarterback in the second quarter and played two periods with moderate results, throwing for 62 yards. Hoyt finished with 35 yards passing.

Storts said of Lopez: "He sucked it up and did a good job. We thought Jesse could do the job. He just needs to get active."

The Hornets didn't need a passing game with Cannon carrying the ball. Lincoln finished without a single passing yard, throwing only six times, but rushed for 450 yards.

"We've got some receivers," said Hornet head coach Tony Jackson. "We have thrown the ball a couple of times this year, but I'm a run guy. I like to see that short exchange instead of seeing that ball go down the field and anything can happen."

Southwest was never in the game, with Lincoln jumping to a 27-0 first-quarter lead.

The Eagles got their act together in the second quarter after Lopez came in, controlling the ball for most of the period and shutting out Lincoln.

"We just opened up some holes in the middle," Storts said. "It's been our story all year long. We get inside the red zone and we do something to mess up. Penalties killed us."

The loss wraps up Southwest's season at 4-7

"Our fans were on the edge of their seats, with the exception of this game, every game," Storts said. "You never knew who was going to win until the last couple of minutes of the ballgame. I think it's been a pretty exciting year."

The Imperial Valley will get another shot at corralling Cannon and the other Hornets. Lincoln, 8-2, will head to Brawley (which had a bye this week) at 7:30 p.m. Friday in the second round of the CIF Division III playoffs.

Imperial Valley Press Online Articles