YOU ARE HERE: IVPress HomeCollections

Firefighters battle house fire north of Imperial

November 27, 2001|By DARREN SIMON, Staff Writer

IMPERIAL — County firefighters battled a fire at a manufactured home north of here Monday that started in the laundry room.

There were no injuries in the blaze, but the damage left the home uninhabitable, displacing Mario and Hilda Castro, according to county fire Capt. Lon Hettinger.

The fire erupted at 1:20 p.m. at the manufactured home — similar to a mobile home — on Belford Road north of Imperial and west of Highway 86.

Firefighters arrived by 1:29 p.m. and had the fire extinguished within 20 minutes. Nine firefighters were involved in battling the blaze.


Hettinger said the fire was contained to the laundry room area but there was extensive heat and smoke damage throughout the residence. He estimated damage at $68,000.

Hettinger added the blaze may have started because of an electrical problem in the laundry room.

The family was not home at the time of the fire and Hettinger was unsure who reported the blaze.

He said the couple is thought to have children because there were toys in the yard.

The American Red Cross was called to the scene to provide aid to the family.

>> Staff Writer Darren Simon can be reached at 337-4082.

Imperial Valley Press Online Articles