Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: IVPress HomeCollections

Unattended stove, electrical problem linked to separate residential area fires

November 27, 2001|By KELLY GRANT, Staff Writer

An unattended stove and an electrical problem caused two separate fires at two El Centro residences Monday.

El Centro firefighters responded to a fire at 910 N. Oak St. just before 4 p.m., said El Centro fire Capt. Dave Hudson. The kitchen fire broke out after a resident left something on the stove unattended. The stove was damaged in the incident. Firefighters were back at the station about an hour later, Hudson said.

Later that evening, firefighters responded to an apartment fire in the Regency Park apartment complex at 1531 Ross Ave.

A burning mattress within unit 210, a one-bedroom second-floor apartment, was extinguished by the sprinkler system installed within the unit, Hudson said.

The cause was determined to be electrical, officials said. The apartment's residents were not home at the time.

Before being extinguished, the fire set off a ringing fire alarm throughout the complex. The alarm and smoke coming from unit 210 alerted nearby residents to the fire. An upstairs neighbor crawled on his stomach through the unlocked front door to make sure no one was inside the unit while the Fire Department was en route.

Advertisement

>> Staff Writer Kelly Grant can be reached at 337-3441.

Imperial Valley Press Online Articles
|
|
|