YOU ARE HERE: IVPress HomeCollectionsIvc

Wednesday, Nov. 28, 2001

November 28, 2001

QUESTION: Growing up in Imperial County, my only camping experience was when I went to Hi-Pass camp. As an adult, I supported the camp the best I could. Last summer the camp didn't open.

The other day I heard a bankruptcy court will give the camp to a lawyer who represents the mother of a boy who claims he was molested by another minor at the camp. What's going on? — Unhappy Camper, Imperial

It looks like the days of Hi-Pass camp are numbered as the result of sexual encounters between a camper and a counselor. A bankruptcy judge will decide on the camp's future Dec. 13.

Trying to protect the 33-acre camp from the threat of a $10 million lawsuit, the camp's board of directors, following the advice of its attorney, filed for chapter 11 under the federal bankruptcy law.


Chapter 11 protects the filer from creditors long enough to reorganize. When it turned out a non-profit can't file chapter 11 under the federal bankruptcy law, the camp was forced into chapter 9, which means liquidation.

The lawsuit alleging child molestation case has not yet been to court, according to Dan DuBose, a member of the Hi-Pass board of directors.

DuBose said the camp property is valued at $65,000. The non-profit was incorporated in 1938 and operated for more than 60 years under the umbrella of the American Legion.

Thousands of Valley children got their only respite from the summer heat as well as a camping experience at Hi-Pass, DuBose said.

QUESTION: With enrollment at Imperial Valley College up 3.5 percent, as noted in Sunday's paper, parking remains abysmal. While looking for a parking space to register, I noticed a large number of cars with out-of-state license plates in the parking lot. What percentage of students are actually registered as out-of-state residents?

Do the out-of-state drivers have to pay the California Department of Vehicles fee to park on school grounds like state employees must do to park on state grounds. — Circling-the-Lot, Niland

When you mention "out-of-state license plates," we take it you don't mean Arizona plates.

Sandra Standiford, IVC dean of admissions, said about 100 students are registered as out-of-state students at IVC. There are persistent rumors that up to a third or more of IVC students reside in Mexicali.

"We hear that but nobody can tell us who they are and give us proof that they live in Mexicali," Standiford said.

State law provides that filing California state taxes plus an assertion of residency is proof enough, Standiford said.

Lacking that proof, a potential student may offer a variety of other "proofs" of residency such as rent receipts, voter or vehicle registration, utility bills or driver's license.

Out-of-state students pay higher tuition than California residents.

As to parking fees, everybody pays the same amount, $15 per vehicle for each semester. You also can buy a one-day pass for $1.

REAL CRACKERS — Last year when I referred to the rowdies out in dunes as "crackers," everybody jumped on me. My definition of a cracker is a "ruffian, somebody not too refined." — Political Commentator, Calexico

Well we're going to jump on you now. The term "cracker" is simply a contemptuous reference to poor whites living in Georgia or Florida.

As one who comes from a long line of poor whites, we find the term as offensive as terms applied to other races and ethnic groups. Shame!

Imperial Valley Press Online Articles