A suspected immigrant smuggler driving a car that crashed on Interstate 8 a year ago killing five people — all undocumented immigrants — has pleaded guilty to five counts of gross vehicular manslaughter.
Alfonso Imperial Damas, 21, of Tijuana will be sentenced Dec. 14 in Imperial County jail court.
Deputy District Attorney Wayne Robinson, the prosecutor assigned to the case, said he will seek a four-year prison sentence.
Imperial had been charged with second-degree murder by the county District Attorney's Office.
However, Superior Court Judge Juan Ulloa ruled earlier this month there was insufficient evidence to pursue five counts of second-degree murder against Imperial.
Joe Beard, assistant district attorney, said when the judge made that ruling, Imperial opted to plead guilty to the five counts of vehicular manslaughter.