Santa Fe blows out Vincent

December 01, 2001|By ROBERT FULTON, Special to this newspaper

LA JOLLA — The Vincent Memorial High School football team ran into a buzz saw here against Santa Fe Christian in the semifinals of the Division IV playoffs. The Eagles ripped apart the Scots 48-8.

"Those boys are quick," said Vincent Memorial head coach Jaime Santos. "They're very strong and well-prepared. They studied us very well."

Vincent's lone score came early in the fourth quarter, well after the game had been decided. Jose Lopez received a pass from Miguel Montaño that went 30 yards. Montaño ran in the conversion, and the Scots had eight points.

The game was put away early by the Eagles, who had a 21-0 lead after one quarter of play and boasted a 41-0 lead heading into halftime. Santa Fe added another score in the third period before Vincent got on the board.


"This is hands down the toughest team we've ever played," Santos said. "They're definitely a great team."

Vincent Memorial could not get much going offensively either rushing or passing. Lopez led the team in rushing with 49 yards on the ground. Montaño could only manage 97 through the air. Many of those yards came in the fourth quarter with the game already decided.

Three turnovers by the Scots also didn't help, but the Eagles had a hard time holding onto the ball, coughing it up twice.

The Eagles were led by a stellar performance by Chase McBride. McBride scored five touchdowns; three off passes from quarterback Paul Kirwan and two rushing. He finished with 155 yards receiving and 98 rushing.

"Chase has been just terrific for us all year long," said Santa Fe Christian head coach Brian Sipe. "Nothing Chase did tonight surprised me. He's a fantastic player. He's a great team leader and he's got a lot of football left to play."

Kirwan finished with 194 yards through the air.

The game was a rematch of a quarterfinal game that Vincent won last year. This was also just Vincent's second trip to San Diego this season, its first being the initial loss of the year to Francis Parker.

The Eagles (11-0) didn't show any rust from not having played a game for three weeks and are now headed for the Division IV finals.

"There's nothing we have to do to fire these kids up," Sipe said. "They've been fired up since spring training, all through the summer and the whole season. They're just a remarkable group and I wasn't at all worried about our layoff because I knew they would come to play tonight."

The loss wraps up Vincent Memorial's season at 8-2. The trip to the semifinals is remarkable considering this was only its third year with a football program and only second time at the varsity level.

"We had a great year," Santos said. "God has blessed us. There's nothing we can say. We won our league. We're 8-2. We can't say that's a bad year. Unfortunately we didn't meet our goal, and that was to go to Qualcomm (where the title game is to be held on Wednesday), but we're ready to come back next year."

Imperial Valley Press Online Articles