Division 5 Director Rudy Maldonado of Calexico is vying against Calexico City Councilman Gilbert B. Grijalva.
County Sheriff Harold Carter of El Centro is being challenged by Chief Deputy Ernie Mendoza of Brawley in a rematch of the 1998 sheriff's runoff.
Elected county officials who did not draw opposition were:
· Assessor Jose M. Rodriguez Jr. of Calexico;
· Auditor Douglas Newland of El Centro;
· Clerk/Recorder Dolores Provencio of Holtville;
· District Attorney Gilbert G. Otero of Brawley;
· Public Administrator Norma Saikhon of Brawley;
· Treasurer/Tax Collector Donna D. Yarnell of El Centro.
Two local candidates are running for the state Assembly 80th District seat. The 80th District includes Imperial and parts of Riverside counties.
Incumbent Assemblyman David Kelley did not file nomination papers because he plans to retire when his term is up. Republican Blake Miles of El Centro and Democrat Ramon Saucedo of Imperial face five Riverside County candidates for their party's nomination in the March primary. The candidates from Riverside are:
· Joey Acuña (D) of Coachella;
· Bonnie Garcia (R) of Cathedral City;
· Anna Nevenic (R) of Palm Springs;
· John Peña (R), mayor of La Quinta;
· Greg Pettis (D) of Cathedral City.
No local candidates filed for the 40th state Senate district seat. The district includes all Imperial County, east to include rural and incorporated parts of south San Diego County and north to include Riverside County to Interstate 10 at Cathedral City.
The newly redrawn district does not include the residence of incumbent state Sen. Jim Batten, R-37. Candidates for the 40th state Senate race are all from San Diego:
· Denise Moreno Ducheny (D);
· Michael S. Giorgino (R);
· Felix Jeremiah Miranda (Libertarian).
A local candidate is challenging U.S. Rep. Bob Filner, D-San Diego, for the Democratic nomination in the 51st congressional race.
Daniel C. Ramirez of Calexico is the only other Democrat in the 51st congressional race. Other candidates in the 51st race include:
· Guillermo "Willie" Durazo (R) of Chula Vista;
· Maria Guadalupe Garcia (R) of Chula Vista;
· John Gipson (Independent) of National City;
· Jeffrey S. Keup (L) of San Diego.
>> Staff Writer Laura Mitchell can be reached at 337-3452 or firstname.lastname@example.org