Regulations keep off-roaders on their toes

December 29, 2001|By LAURA MITCHELL, Staff Writer

GLAMIS — An increase in outside law enforcement at the Imperial Sand Dunes Recreation Area this weekend has given visitors a feeling of safety but has lead to some confusion.

Chad Edgmon of Fallon, Nev., received a ticket for not having his off-road vehicle registered in California. Off-road vehicles are not required to be registered in Nevada.

U.S. Forest Service rangers issuing the ticket did not know where Edgmon could go to register his out-of-state vehicle in California."I don't want to get a ticket every day I'm out here," Edgmon said.

County Sheriff's Office deputies staffing the Cahuilla Ranger station also did not know where out-of-state off-road vehicles could be registered over the holiday weekend, although a wipe board behind the desk stated out-of-state vehicles can get permits at Clean Gene's Buggy Shop.


Clean Gene's on Highway 78 in Glamis sells out-of-state vehicle permits for $20 each. The permit is good for one year. Clean Gene's is authorized by the California Department of Motor Vehicles to sell the permits. The permits are issued by the DMV and are available from offices statewide.More out-of-state visitors are coming to the sand dunes this year, said Linda, whose father owns Clean Gene's. Linda asked that her last name not be used in this article.

Clean Gene's usually sells 80 out-of-state permits a season. This season, the store has already sold more than 60, Linda said.

Clean Gene's Buggy Shop is open daily from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. For more information call 344-7070.

>> More information on off-road vehicle registration can be obtained at the California Off Highway Vehicle Web site at:

>> Staff Writer Laura Mitchell can be reached at 337-3452 or

Imperial Valley Press Online Articles