YOU ARE HERE: IVPress HomeCollections

calexico boars takes no action on girls hoops situation

February 01, 2002|By AARON CLAVERIE

Staff Writer

CALEXICO — The Calexico Unified School District board will not reprimand district Superintendent Robert Moreno or Calexico High Athletic Director Ray Alvarado for their handling of a controversy involving the Calexico High School girls varsity basketball team.

On Thursday, board President Sal Pacheco said, "We took no action. That's the only comment I have."

For the past few months, a group of parents has complained about the actions of basketball coach Jamie Chew, Alvarado and Moreno.

Earlier this season, Chew locked the gym doors during tryouts and practices. She locked the doors after parents complained about her decision to send a junior player to the junior varsity team.


According to the parents, she required them to call her on a cell phone if they wanted to remove their daughters during the closed practices.

Following the proper procedure, the parents took their complaints to Alvarado. He took no action against Chew.

The parents then complained to Moreno. He took no action against Chew.

The parents next asked the district school board to address their complaints. After 12 hours of testimony from parents, concerned parties and coaches of other sports at Calexico High, the board decided to take no action against Chew. The parents complained about the board's decision.

On Thursday David Groesbeck, personnel director for the district, said, "(The parents) raised an issue and I think that issue was addressed."

Chew would not comment on the matter.

Asked if he was happy with the board's decision, Alvarado said, "I'm always happy."

Pressed for specifics, he said, "I don't have any comment."

Pacheco was asked if the issue is settled, "I have no comment on that," he said.

Pacheco was asked if it was even possible for the board to make a decision that would make everyone happy, "I have no comment on that."

After the board's decision to keep Chew as coach, parents pulled two girls off the varsity team. Those girls have not returned to practice or games.

The parents of the girls signed a letter to the editor of this paper that read in part, "We, as parents, have pulled them off the team until justice has truly been served, and those school officials make the correct decision."

>> Staff Writer Aaron Claverie can be reached at 337-3419 or

Imperial Valley Press Online Articles