Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: IVPress HomeCollectionsIid

Money on agenda for IID meeting

February 04, 2002|By RUDY YNIGUEZ, Staff Writer

Money will be at the heart of Tuesday's meeting of the Imperial Irrigation District Board of Directors.

The board will be asked to pay $1.1 million for its consultant, CH2M Hill, to prepare the IID/San Diego County Water Authority transfer final environmental study/habitat conservation plan. Of that money, $287,375 is for cost overruns due to changes to the draft environmental study "required by" the Coachella Valley Water District, the printing and distribution of additional copies of a much larger-than-thought draft document and additional consultant consultations, among other reasons.

The district floated $23 million in bonds to cover expenditures associated with the transfer. Of the $6.3 million environmental study, IID's share is 65 percent. The remainder, 35 percent, is the responsibility of the San Diego County Water Authority, which to date has paid $1.7 million, according to an IID staff report.

The IID board meets in open session at 5 p.m. in the William R. Condit Auditorium, 1285 Broadway, El Centro.

Advertisement

In other business, the board:

· will be asked to contribute $50,000 to support the Imperial County Farm Bureau's total maximum daily load program and to serve as matching funds for grants.

· will be asked to contribute $5,000 for each of five years to Imperial Valley College to establish an endowment fund for perpetual scholarships for deserving students. The request is in addition to the district's continued participation with the IVC Foundation gala by purchasing a table at the event for $1,500.

· will be asked to contribute $25,000 to the so-called Water for the West Foundation. The foundation reportedly was formed to inform the public of the recreational, environmental, agricultural and industrial opportunities in the Colorado River basin, and the history and ongoing benefits of the region. In exchange for its donation, the district would enjoy "certain benefits at the Hoover (Dam) celebration on June 17, 2002."

· will clarify its hiring freeze to exclude summer interns and internal lateral moves.

>> Staff Writer Rudy Yniguez can be reached at 337-3440.

Imperial Valley Press Online Articles
|
|
|