The El Centro Fire Department responded to a report of a gas odor in the 2200 block of Elm Avenue on Sunday and found a large gas line was leaking.
Fire officials said they were called to the area by a resident who said there was a lingering gas odor.
After firefighters arrived they sprayed water on the street, which allowed them to identify gas vapors rising from the asphalt.
At that point Southern California Gas Co. workers were called.
Fire officials reported crews from the company worked through the night to open the pavement to gain access to the line. Once they had done so they went to work patching the 60-pound gas line.
Gas company officials were unavailable for comment this morning. Fire officials did not have information on whether work on the line was finished. They did say the leak did not represent an "immediate" threat to area residents.