Crews from Southern California Gas Co. worked five hours Saturday and Sunday to contain a gas leak in the 2200 block of Elm Avenue, a company official reported this morning.
Joe Montenegro, Gas Co. district manager for Imperial County and Blythe, said this morning the concentration of gas that leaked through cracks in the street never represented a danger to the community.
Crews from the El Centro Fire Department and the Gas Co. responded late Saturday after both received calls from a family in the area.
Montenegro said the leak was found in a 2-inch plastic pipe that handles up to 40 pounds of pressure. He said rather than "pinch off" the gas while they repaired the line, crews first built a line bypass to allow the gas service to continue undisturbed by the repairs.