YOU ARE HERE: IVPress HomeCollections

Need money for college? Local students might consider applying for state grant

February 12, 2002|By JENNIFER RALTON-SMITH, Staff Writer

Want to go to college but not exactly sure where all the money's coming from?

California's state government has a few dollars in its coffers for student grants — $600 million, give or take a dollar or two.

High school students who plan on going to college have until March 2 to apply for a grant that may be used for tuition purposes at public or private colleges, universities and vocational schools in California.

The money will come from the Cal Grant program, a scholarship fund for college-bound students needing financial aid to go to college, and is available in grants ranging between $1,500 and $9,700.


Eligibility is based on financial situation and school grades. There are several grants on offer with varying eligibility requirements.

To apply, students need to forward a school-certified copy of their grade-point average to the California Student Aid Commission, along with a standard financial aid form called the free application for student aid.

Successful applicants will receive notification in spring/summer.

You can find more information on the commission's Web site at or by calling (888) CA-GRANT.

>> Staff Writer Jennifer Ralton-Smith can be reached at 337-3442 or

Imperial Valley Press Online Articles