Advertisement

Unattended candles ignite house fire

February 16, 2002|By DARREN SIMON, Staff Writer

CALEXICO — Firefighters here battled a house blaze Tuesday that was ignited by lighted candles reportedly left unattended, Calexico fire officials said.

Children in the house at the time of the fire escaped uninjured.

The Fire Department received a call of smoke inside a structure at 5:30 p.m. Some 10 firefighters responded to a house at 838 Beach Ave., where a small fire was burning in the living room.

Fire officials said three children who reside in the home had been left by themselves, during which time the fire started.

The children noticed the smoke and were able to get themselves out of the house.

Neighbors reported the fire.

Fire crews were able to extinguish the blaze within five minutes and contained the fire to a wall and some furniture.

Advertisement

Officials said lighted candles on top of a table ignited plastic decorations on a wall, onto which flame spread.

Fire officials said they were unsure as to who lit the candles. They also did not have information on the age of the children.

The children's family members returned to the house after firefighters arrived on scene.

The case remained under investigation this morning.

>> Staff Writer Darren Simon can be reached at 337-4082.

Imperial Valley Press Online Articles
|
|
|