Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: IVPress HomeCollections

ECFD: Smoke alarm saved sleeping man from fire

March 04, 2002|By DARREN SIMON, Staff Writer

El Centro fire officials credited a smoke alarm for saving the life of a man who was asleep when a blaze erupted in the mobile home in which he was staying Saturday.

The fire quickly spread, causing the alarm to sound and awakening the man, who escaped the mobile home before it became engulfed.

A family dog, two cats and a parrot were killed in the fire.

The El Centro Fire Department was called to the mobile home park in 1700 block of Euclid Avenue at 5:17 p.m.

By the time firefighters arrived, the mobile home was engulfed. Fire crews signaled for a second alarm, which meant more firefighters were called to the scene. A total of 14 firefighters battled the blaze for 15 minutes before it was extinguished.

Advertisement

El Centro fire Capt. Scott Casillas said the fire was sparked by a lamp cord that was pinned under a metal floor vent. He said the cord broke down over time and the heat generated caused flames to spark nearby newspapers and magazines.

He said the mobile home was destroyed. A woman and her son lived there but were not home at the time of the fire. The man who was inside the mobile home when the fire started was a guest.

Casillas said it is important that people pay attention to the cords on their electrical appliances. He said if they are pinned underneath other objects they can wear down and that represents a danger.

>> Staff Writer Darren Simon can be reached at 337-4082.

Imperial Valley Press Online Articles
|
|
|