Court reschedules readiness hearing in fatal stabbing

May 10, 2002|By MARIO RENTERÍA

Staff Writer

The readiness hearing in a case against a 39-year-old El Centro man accused of the fatal stabbing of 19-year-old Edward De La Cruz last year was rescheduled for Monday morning.

Salvador Serrato was in the County Courthouse in El Centro on Thursday for his readiness hearing, but the hearing was rescheduled for Monday because, "The prosecution was not ready," said El Centro police Detective Angie Cuevas.

During a readiness hearing, the prosecuting attorney presents to the presiding judge the evidence prosecutors have acquired and the judge decides whether to allow the evidence to be used in trial.


Serrato is thought to have murdered the Harbor City man on July 1 in the 200 block of East Olive Avenue in El Centro after the two engaged in an altercation. De La Cruz was a former El Centro resident.

Serrato was arrested July 16 in a relative's home in the 300 block of Villa Avenue in El Centro after relatives told police he wanted to turn himself in.

Imperial County Deputy District Attorney Susana Delgado will be prosecuting the case. Attorney Eduardo Rivera of Calexico will be defending Serrato.

The trial will be presided over by Superior Court Judge Juan Ulloa.

>> Staff Writer Mario Rentería can be reached at 337-3441.

Imperial Valley Press Online Articles