The house, occupied by a woman and her two grandchildren, was fully engulfed when firefighters arrived.
While none of the occupants were injured, a family dog — which Sevilla said might be responsible for the fire — died during the fire.
Sevilla said it appears the fire started in a back room where a candle had been lighted. He said the dog may have knocked the candle over and accidentally set the room on fire. Sevilla said about 80 to 90 percent of the house was destroyed.
Just as firefighters were coming back into the station, a Strike Team of local firefighters was called out at 3 p.m. to Cajon Pass to help fight a brush fire there.
He said that left the Brawley Fire Department with only five firefighters.
At around 8:42 p.m. the second fire was reported. It was an apartment complex in the 1200 block of North Imperial Avenue.
He said the tired and depleted Fire Department responded to the blaze. When firefighters arrived, they found one of the apartments fully engulfed.
Firefighters faced more problems when their water hose broke inside the apartment as they tried to fight the blaze.
Sevilla said that and the fact the firefighters were already tired was the reason why he called a second alarm.
Engines from Calipatria, Imperial County and El Centro responded to the fire. The fire at that point had spread into the attic making it hard for the five Brawley firefighters to reach it.
After Brawley firefighters fixed the hose, with the help from the other firefighters, they opened up the roof and attacked the fire from both the outside and inside of the apartment.
He said the fire caused about $50,000 or $60,000 in damage to the apartment.
>> Staff Writer Mario Rentería can be reached at 337-3441.