Advertisement

Holtville rumors don’t pan out: No sign of Garcia

January 27, 2006|By LEO MIRAMON and DARREN SIMON, Staff Writers

HOLTVILLE — Rumors that convicted killer Adan Garcia is back in Holtville following his release from the California Youth Authority may not be true.

Holtville Police Chief John Vanelli said Thursday there are no indications Garcia is residing here. In 1994, Garcia murdered 14-year-old Andrea Hines in Holtville when he was 13.

Vanelli said because of concerns that Garcia had returned to the city, he visited Garcia’s mother. Vanelli said the mother reported her son had not returned and Vanelli found no evidence that Garcia had been living there.

Vanelli said he contacted neighbors on both sides of the house and the house directly across the street. He said no one contacted had seen Garcia in the area.

Advertisement

This newspaper reported Garcia might be in the city after it was contacted by Skip Hines, Andrea’s father, who said he had information to that effect. This newspaper also interviewed Vanelli and City Manager Laura Fischer, both of whom said they had heard Garcia was in town but they had not seen him.

Vicky Hines, Andrea’s mother, said Thursday since Garcia’s release in October she has heard reports of his returning to the city but she did not know if the reports are true. She added Garcia is living in California.

Andrea Hines was murdered Sept. 17, 1994, in her family’s backyard. Garcia admitted to strangling and stabbing her.

Garcia was tried as a juvenile and at age 25 was released after serving his full sentence.

>> Staff Writer Leo Miramon can be reached at 337-3442 or at lmiramon@ivpressonline.com

>> Staff Writer Darren Simon can be reached at 337-3445 or at dsimon@ivpressonline.com

Imperial Valley Press Online Articles
|
|
|