IMPERIAL — Ten students and employees at Ben Hulse Elementary School here suffered bee stings after two hives were disturbed during the demolition of a house across the street.
Hundreds of bees swarmed the area early Monday as students and staff arrived to start their week at school.
Eight students, one teacher and one instruction aide were transported to El Centro Regional Medical Center as a precaution, Ben Hulse Principal Jerry Johnson said. All were treated for the bee stings and released within a few hours.
The streets leading to the 300 block of D Street where the school is located was shut down as neighbors were informed of the swarm and were advised to stay indoors.
Heather Munger lives next door to the house that was being demolished. “Both of my kids go to school here,” Munger said. “They were eating breakfast at school. I know some kids got stung.”